Columns, Column Covers, Pilasters for Architectural Designs
Manufactured stone provides a range of options to design architectural columns and pilasters. AAS has variety of column designs that can be delivered with short turnaround time. The AAS team has extensive experience with custom design of columns to integrate them seamlessly with rest of the building design elements such as cladding, veneers, brick veneers, limestone, glass or steel.
- GFRC and dry vibrant-tamp casting materials can be used to design column covers, or column wraps that can envelop structural elements.
- The AAS team has extensive experience in developing load bearing, structural columns using wet-pour architectural precast, or cast stone product materials.
THREE PRODUCT MATERIAL OPTIONS FOR COLUMNS AND PILASTERS:
Cast stone: The vibrant-tamp casting technique allows custom shapes with complex details, stringent tolerance requirements for seamless look and feel. Cast stone columns can be installed with anchorage to a shaft inside, or they can be column covers around other solid structural materials.
Wet-precast concrete: The wet-pour architectural precast columns are more suited for load bearing column applications. These columns can have steel rods or other reinforcements for required structural strength.
GFRC: GFRC columns are ¾” inch thick and light in weight. AAS GFRC products have very high strength to weight ratio making them ideal for higher elevation applications. GFRC column covers can be installed around other solid, structural materials as well.
- The AAS team works closely with designers and contractors to review, confirm details at CAD drawing’s level.
- Design Assist, Construction Assist: The AAS team is able to guide customers with design of the columns and column covers. The AAS engineering, fabrication process develops built-in connections for anchorage connections, installation support.
- Thanks to custom mold making CNC technology and experience of the AAS team, designers have unparalleled freedom and flexibility to achieve columns of any size and shape.
- AAS guides customers with selection of the right products for the project. The AAS team is able to combine product materials with seamless look and feel.
Custom Design Examples
Columns can be designed to fit the design of a project. They can take elements of the Greek classical columns and can be a design that reflects a particular part of the country. For example, In Texas, a column capital may have the face of a long-horn cow. They would be used for commercial establishments selling western items; a botanical garden may have fully-open rose as its capital.
Rope column is an ornate design of spiraling rope. The design requires custom molds and a lot of precision for the column to fit in the design.